The importance of continuing professional development
We are often asked to describe the importance of continuing professional development. Why is CPD important and why does it matter?
- You’ve finished your Beauty/Nails/Massage/Makeup Qualification. Check.
- You’ve completed all your practical experience requirements so that you can graduate. Check.
- Your new job is all lined up and ready to go. Mission accomplished.
It’s fair to say the first part of your mission is well and truly accomplished. Sit back and give yourself a pat on the back. But don’t take too long about it or you’ll be lagging behind your colleagues. The same is true for professionals with many years experience in the workplace.
Continuing professional development is important because it ensures you continue to be competent in your profession. The Beauty Industry is fast paced with new trends appearing all the time. It can be the difference between a client coming to you and your salon or the salon down the street.
The ultimate outcome of well planned continuing professional development is that it safeguards the public, the employer, the professional and the professional’s career.
- CPD ensures your capabilities keep pace with the current standards of others in the same field.
- CPD ensures that you maintain and enhance the knowledge and skills you need to deliver a professional service to your customers, clients and the community.
- CPD ensures that you and your knowledge stay relevant and up to date. You are more aware of the changing trends and directions in your profession. The pace of change is probably faster than it’s ever been – and this is a feature of the new normal that we live and work in. If you stand still you will get left behind, as the currency of your knowledge and skills becomes out-dated.
- CPD helps you continue to make a meaningful contribution to your team. You become more effective in the workplace. This assists you to advance in your career and move into new positions where you can lead, manage, influence, coach and mentor others.
- CPD helps you to stay interested and interesting. Experience is a great teacher, but it does mean that we tend to do what we have done before. Focused CPD opens you up to new possibilities, new knowledge and new skill areas.
At True Beauty Academy our courses are accredited by the best in the industry who offer specific points towards your CPD. Not only are you gaining knowledge and learning new skills its a chance to mingle with fellow therapists, network, share ideas and have a day out of the salon – which admittedly sometimes we all need! Especially after the madness of Christmas.Also, one of the main reasons is to expand your treatment menu which can result in more clientele and more profit.
January is the perfect time to get your CPD in, the mad rush of Christmas has finished and you may find you have more time on your hands to really look at your treatment menu, your salon or spa and write down your business goals for the year. What will you do different this year? What other treatments can you offer? How can you stand out amongst your competitors?
We have officially declared January 2017 our CPD Month and will be giving 20% off our January Courses. Head to our Short Course Calendar now to see what takes your fancy. Is the course you wanted not on? Tell Us! Is there a specific course you’ve always wanted to do? Tell Us! email email@example.com or telephone 01977 801094 to contact us or book your courses. Don’t forget to quote CPD17.